Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Three C's

It was a typical Virginia autumn day. The morning began with rain that gave way to bright sunshine shortly after 11:00 in the morning.

Herndon High School was holding their Homecoming Parade. And just off the parade route, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Father David Bonarrigo was joining us in Holy Matrimony.

His homily offered many insights and thoughts to ponder, all based on the letter "C". (What just popped into my head is the Sesame Street song "C is for Cookie", sung by none other than the Cookie Monster. This is where my life is today.)

Father David explained that we are joined together in many ways, and he tied them into the fact that both of our names start with C. He offered nine C's for us to consider, starting with the fact that C is the third letter of the alphabet. The number three then reminds us that this is a union of three -- Chris, Cindy, and Christ. I guess I've always known this would be the case when I was married, but Father David put it right up front for us -- where it belongs. Although I haven't thought about his particular words very often, the idea that Christ is in the center of our union is constant.

The other C's that Father David spoke of were: commencement, consecrate, commitment, charity, community, communication, create, and celebrate. A pretty good list, I'd say. (And I am really glad that our names don't start with Q or X!)

Over five years have passed since Father David imparted his wisdom to us. Many things have changed in that time, but his words remain as relevant today as the day he spoke them.

On our first wedding anniversary, Cindy gave me a quilt that now hangs in our bedroom. I look at it almost every night just before I drift off to sleep:

I once thought that marriage took just two to make a go,
But now I realize that it takes the Lord also.

Simple words, but a powerful thought. Chris, Cindy, Christ.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Thank you my love!